Summer is here and if you have not already done so, now is the time to set your programmable thermostat to your summer temperature cooling schedule. Pre-setting your setback times will allow your thermostat to effortlessly adjust the temperature in your home as needed all summer long.
For those who do not have a programmable thermostat, upgrading to one can be very cost effective. They will make a positive enhancement to your home’s HVAC energy consumption, in fact when used correctly a programmable thermostat can save you about $180 each year according to Energy Star.
Programmable thermostats come in many variations when purchasing but all will have one of the three basic scheduling capabilities to choose from which are:
- 7-day (allows you to set a different program every day)
- 5+2 day (allows you to set a program for the weekday’s and for the weekend)
- 5-1-1 day (allows you to set a program for the weekdays and separate programs for Saturday and Sunday)
Most programmable models, regardless the type, allow for 4 temperature adjustments each day. Below you will find a guide on how to optimally set your programmable thermostat for the summer:
- Your first temperature adjustment of the day will be in the morning when the household starts to wake-up. This program should start approximately 15 minutes before your household wake-up time for optimal efficiency and comfort.
- Your second temperature adjustment will start when you leave your home for the day. You should set the temperature to rise 10 to 15 degrees highers than your comfort zone. Doing this for periods of 8 hours or more can save you 1 percent in energy costs for every degree you set your thermostat to go up.
- Your third temperature adjustment will start 15 minutes before you return home. At this time your temperature should return back to your preferred comfort zone.
- Your last temperature adjustment should occur when you go to sleep. About 15 minutes after your household goes to bed you should increase the temperature in your home as much as you are comfortable with.
Do not have a programmable thermostat or looking to upgrade? Contact Tower Equipment Company today to speak with one of our professionals today!
0 Comments Leave a comment