Summer vacation is an exciting time for your whole family but before you leave your home for your vacation it is important to check over your HVAC system! The last thing you want is to come home to a scorching hot house because your system is not working properly. Here are a few helpful steps you can take to prep your HVAC system before heading out on vacation:
- Raise the Thermostat- While you are out of town, you will not need your system to keep the house at your preferred temperature. Increasing the temperature while you are out can save you money on your energy bill and will give your system a much-needed break. In general, it is a good idea to set your thermostat to 80-85 Fahrenheit when you’re away- you can even do this while you are at work. Don’t want to have to constantly change your thermostat settings? Programmable thermostats can help you with that as they will automatically adjust once programmed. Contact Tower today for more information on programmable thermostats and Wi-Fi thermostats.
- Surge Protection- With power surges being unpredictable it is best to outfit your home with a surge protector to prevent damage to your HVAC system. When power cuts to your system it may not shut down properly which can cause problems when it regains power. Unsure if you have protection? Contact Tower today for more information.
- Air Filter Maintenance- As your system will still be running when you are away, it is important to make sure your air filters are as clean as possible before leaving. Having a clean filter will help prevent any malfunctions in your system when you are gone, making it important to check over before you leave.
- Security- Most homeowners leave lights on in their homes to scare away intruders when on vacation but security measures with our HVAC system often go forgotten. Sensor lights are a great way to alarm your system to add valuable protection. Fencing or a gate is another way you can protect your system at a small cost.
- Routine Maintenance- Before you leave for your trip if you have not already done so this summer, it is a good idea to have your HVAC technician come out and do an inspection of your system. Even if you are only gone for a couple of days this is a good way to prevent any damage to your system when you are gone.
By following these simple steps outlined here you will be able to have a nice relaxing vacation knowing your HVAC system will be in good shape when you return home.
Need an air filter or are you interested in a programmable thermostat? Contact Tower Equipment professionals today for pricing, questions, or for more information at: